music changes young people’s lives
FOSYM Awards and Grant Applications
The purpose of FOSYM awards and grants is to provide some financial support to young people in Staffordshire who show an interest in or talent for music, in situations where their parent or carer’s financial circumstances might not be able to meet the full cost of the activity.
FOSYM can only consider applications on behalf of pupils who live within and /or attend a school in the Staffordshire Local Authority area. Full rules and regulations for awards are currently being updated and will be available from Tuesday 6 April 2021. Please contact FOSYM via our enquiries email if you have any further questions.
FOSYM is able to partly or wholly fund the activities detailed below:*
- Cost of regular instrumental or vocal lessons for a set period of time;
- Cost of membership of a music group or ensemble;
- Cost of purchase of instruments or music-related equipment;
- Cost of sheet music for an exam or course;
- Cost of an instrumental or vocal exam entry;
- Cost of attendance at a music audition or interview for a music course at a College or University;
- Cost of attendance at a Masterclass or short course that will help musical development.
* Students should be aged 18 years and under, unless it is for an audition fee where the student must be under 19 at the time of audition.
FOSYM makes Grants to Staffordshire Schools and actively seeks other funding streams that can cover a variety of music activities and projects in schools
FOSYM makes Grants to Staffordshire Music Centres for a variety of activities to support music making in local areas.
To apply for FOSYM financial support or for more details please contact Entrust Music Service Staffordshire, who administer awards and grants on FOSYM’s behalf.
ENTRUST MUSIC SERVICE CONTACT DETAILS
Telephone: 0333 300 1900 and ask to speak to the Music Service Team about FOSYM Awards and Grants.
Parents/ Carers will need to be able to give the following information when making contact:
- Name of child, name of school your child attends.
- Parent/carers email address, parent/carers contact telephone number.
FOSYM are able to make awards due to generous gifts from the following:
THE LAVEY FUND
We hold and administer The Lavey Fund, which was established by the Bebbington family. This is used to make annual awards to young musicians who, as well as having made outstanding musical progress, have engaged fully in music centre and school activities. They have often helped younger students and assisted in the running of events. Nominations are made towards the end of each academic year by teachers and Entrust Music Service staff.
THE MURFIN FUND FOR PERCUSSION
The Murfin Fund was established in 2018 by a generous gift in memory of Paul Murfin, a percussionist and Staffordshire teacher. It is being used to support young percussionists to obtain special tuition.
THE JOHN W R TAYLOR AWARD FOR SINGING
The John W R Taylor Award for Singing was established in 2012 in memory of a former Staffordshire Director of Music, at the behest of his widow, Mrs Margaret M Hassall BEM (who is also one of our patrons). Currently the award is made to the Staffordshire Young Singer of the Year.